Hylton Hall in Schoolfield was built by Dan River Inc. originally to house single women. It included a gym, banquet hall, pool, dormitories, parlors, elevators, auditorium, steam heat and electric lights, as originally advertised in a 1917 handout by Dan River Inc. It was completed in the fall of 1918. Note the doors at left on the second floor which at one time opened up to a porch. At one time, there was a porch on the right side as well. Eventually, Dan River converted the massive three-basement and three-story building into offices for Dan River employees. Hylton Hall burned in the spring of 2012 and was deemed a total loss. It joined a long list of textile properties in Danville lost after Dan River Inc. shuttered the Schoolfield division in December 2005.